What's New in QuickBooks Desktop 2021
With the beginning of a new year, Intuit has released new versions of QuickBooks 2021. These updated versions are complete with new and improved features to help you run your business. The tools are to empower you and help you work more efficiently. Continuing reading to see what is new.
How to Access it: From the menu bar, select Vendor ? Receipt Management.
Feature benefits: Automatically create and categorize receipt expense transactions in QuickBooks by using the QuickBooks Desktop Mobile App to capture receipt data. Just photograph receipts, email receipts (to a unique email address you claim or browse your computer-stored receipts to import and review. Stay organized by attaching digital receipt images to expense transactions for audit purposes. Efficiently categorize, review and manage multiple receipt transactions at once.
Having successfully signed in using the Admin Desktop Company file credentials and logged into the Primary Admin for the Intuit account (per previous instructions), you are now ready to invite users to use Receipt Management on their mobile devices or invite them to email receipts.
1. From the menu bar, select Vendors Receipt Management.
2. Invite one or more users to use the app on their mobile device. Click Add user and follow the remaining prompts. Click the Roles tab to see a description of roles permissions.
All users added to the Intuit account are, by default, assigned the Basic user role, but can also be assigned any other available roles.
3. The invited user(s) must accept the email invitation within 30 days and, when accepting the invitation, will be required to create their own Intuit account.
4. The invited user then downloads and logs into the free QuickBooks Desktop app on their mobile device. The user then follows this general workflow:
- Selects the Receipt Snap task.
- Logs into the Inuit account from which they accepted the email invite (not shown here).
- Selects the company for uploading receipts.
- Snaps a picture of the receipt or types a name and description, then selects Upload receipt.
5. With the receipts now uploaded from the users on their mobile devices, the QuickBooks Desktop user logs into the company file and, from the menu bar, selects Vendors Receipt Management. QuickBooks may show the uploaded receipt(s) are processing.
6. When processing is completed, the receipts will be listed by clicking the For Review tab. Click on any receipt to edit the details. A small colored dot will display next to any list item that Receipt Management does not find in the QuickBooks Desktop file. In this image, a vendor record will be created for Home Depot since no name match was found on the Vendor list.
7. After saving and adding the transaction to the register, it will be displayed in the Reviewed list on the Receipt Management window. Click to view the automatically created transaction and optionally click to view the receipt attached to the transaction.
Over time, the Primary Admin for the Intuit account can edit a user’s role for working with connected services or remove them entirely from access to the connected services to which they had been invited as a participant.
8. Optionally, click on Send Receipts to claim a unique email *@qbdesktopdocs.com, then Manage senders who are permitted to email receipts to this Desktop Company file for review. Emailed receipts are automatically added to the Receipt Management For review tab.
How to Access it: From the menu bar, select Customers ? Payment Reminders ? Manage Customer Groups, or Lists ? Manage Groups.
Feature benefits: Create rule-based customer groups based on fields like customer type, status, location, sales rep and balance so you can easily manage and automate communications to them. Customer Groups can then be used to automate sending invoices or statements. For more details on the use of Customer Groups, review the Payment Reminders and Data Level Permissions features also documented in this supplemental guide.
Custom Groups can be defined with a variety of field values including:
- Customer type
- Sales Rep
- Credit Limit
- Open Balance
- Sales Tax Code
- Sales Tax Item
Operator selection will differ depending on the field chosen, but will typically include; Equals, Not Equals, Less than, Greater than and Between.
Depending on the field and opererator chosen, the value(s) available with the selected field will display as shown in the following image:
When defining the criteria for a Customer Group, users can select to Automatically add new or remove existing customers based on fields and values selected in this group.
Feature benefits: Automate regularly sent statement emails tailored to different customer needs. Statements can be reviewed and are sent from QuickBooks using predefined email and templates configured during the Automated Statement setup. Different templates (email and statements) can be used for different Customer Groups.
NOTE: Requires the setup of Webmail/Outlook/QuickBooks email and the setup of Customer Groups
For QuickBooks Desktop 2021, we can now add statement reminders (in addition to invoice reminders offered with QuickBooks Desktop 2020).
What makes this year’s release so much more functional is the ability to assign Customer Groups to these reminders. The Customer Groups are dynamically kept up-to-date as discussed in the prior topic of this supplemental guide.
Choose specific statement options for what information will be included in the customer’s statement.
Sending statements to clients need not be a chore anymore!
Payroll Liability Reminders
Feature benefits: An improvement for payroll processors who want to set up a payroll liability payment due reminder using a calendar application.
QuickBooks users can decide to create a calendar reminder using the calendar app installed locally, or they may download a calendar file that can be imported into a calendar.